In a bit of a break from the geekery, I am happy to present to you a newly discovered protein shake! I came up with this recipe myself while trying to think of delicious ways to use the chocolate protein powder I was forced to get when the all natural vanilla powder I usually buy was sold out.
I started off just using crushed almonds and the chocolate powder as the primary flavors, but that didn’t turn out so good. I discovered that adding a banana gave the shake just the right amount of body and sweetness. A hint of cinnamon and almond extract and this thing went from “meh.” to “woot!”.
From my blender to yours. I present the almond chocolate banana protein shake!
Almond Chocolate Banana Protein Shake
- Small handful (about 3/4 cup) of chopped/slivered almonds. You will need to further crush these up into a powder-like consistency. I use a mortar and pestle.
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups of plain almond milk
- 1 Banana
- 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder
- 1 – 2 ice cubes
- A few good shakes of cinnamon (maybe 3/4 tsp)
- A drop of pure almond extract
Put it all in a blender and blend very well. Leave this one blending for longer than normal since the pureed banana tends to want to float on top of the almond milk.